Tara has known Ian for well over a decade and she’s never had a conversation on race with him. This isn’t because of a lack of opportunity. They’ve shared many a deep conversation, but never about race.
This is a problem. It’s one of the biggest problems that White people have, in fact. You may have heard “your silence is violence” and this episode is all about unpacking that.
We also talk about data portability and data ethics, which is crazy fascinating! Ian has been involved in personal data and the quantified self for a long time and has opinions on AI and data that may just surprise you. We had a bit of a mind-blown moment!
- Ian’s blog: https://cubicgarden.com/
- Ian on Twitter: https://twitter.com/cubicgarden
- Ian on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/cubicgarden/
- Ian at the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/people/ianforrester
- Building a Public Service Internet: https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/public-service-internet
- DataPortability.org: http://dataportability.org/
- Ian talking about Perceptive Media: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJNClpe-XL8
- Bechdel test: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bechdel_test
- Bechdel tests for race: https://www.the-unedit.com/posts/2018/8/20/7-tests-that-arent-the-bechdel-test-that-measure-movies-for-gender-equality-and-representation